Thursday, January 11, 2007

I'm not going to talk about the match against Blackburn.

The whole atmosphere at work has changed, though I'm not certain if that's the new year, it being nearly a month since the accident, or the roll out date approaching. It might be a combination of all three, really. Like I said, I dunno, and I must admit I've been distracted to the point of not caring to work it out. In fact, maybe it's that.

Now I'm not the sort who'll let things get in the way of work. I like to be responsible; it's why I'm capable of doing the sort of job most of what we might call your average person would find... let's say, dull. My job, by certain standards, is dull. (Although that's mostly to do with the lower level clearance I've got. I know for a fact some of the other engineers have got a generally more hands on to do, and you can only enjoy a graph for so long. Not that I'm complaining.)

But, point being: I have been seeing someone. I believe that's called "dating." We haven't said much about it, either of us, since we don't want to jinx anything -- we like each other very much, you see, an almost surprising amount, and there are other complications. But as I said, I've been a poor blogger before. Working on that. More disclosure and that.

I finished my reading, although the distractions made it slow going in the end. We eventually took turns reading it to each other (and that's "cooperation"), but that lasted only just a few sets of ten pages. It's true that it can be depressing for a children's book -- although I'm clearly not a child anymore. Still, I do remember crying when Hazel died when I was younger, and even then when that section of the book's clearly not meant to be so upsetting. I cried just the same.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hay hay, Tobin mixing it up with the girls now. So who's the lucky lady? You're supposed to post that kind of thing in your blog ya know.

Glad to hear you finished Watership Down, tis a very good book. What book are you going to start next?

Tobin said...

Dunno, something more uplifting, I think.

While I understand the purpose isn't just happy bunnies being killed and depressing the reader -- that there's more about the tendency of living creatures to overcome the inherently destructive nature of man, machine, etc.

I understand, but it IS a bit depressing anyway.

You haven't got any books where nobody and nothing dies, have you? K's suggested "Oh the Places You'll Go."

Anonymous said...

I love this secret identity stuff. Who IS this mystery lady and how lucky has she gotten? Have you taken her home to meet the parents yet? Have you bought her flowers and chocolates and silky underthings?

Ha ha ha. I am kidding.

Tobin said...

I'm not laughing.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm not either. Killjoy.

Tobin said...

Silky underthings?

Anonymous said...

Titillation!

Or are you questioning the suggestion in general? Come on, that's the funniest part. You HAVEN'T, have you.

Anonymous said...

Humm... If you're going down the path of fantasy books, I've gotten good review of the Eragon series. I have not read it myself though. Another depressing one is the Golden Compass trilogy, by Pullmen. It's great, but also sad.

So, you gonna tell us her name? How about her measurements...

Tobin said...

Excuse me, but this isn't James Maxwell, is it? I think that might qualify as sexual harassment in the work place.

A lady doesn't kiss and tell, mate, but don't you worry. I'll keep track of those measurements myself. To buy silky underthings, apparently.

Appreciate the recommendations.